Thursday, July 29, 2010

Russia Baby!


“I always wished I could be a Russian Doll. A red one. With a big pair of bright blue eyes and painted on eyelashes and pink rosy cheeks. Really rosy. And my mouth would be painted on red like a bow. I’d have a flower on my chest - a rose - and two small little hands by my side. And then I could be unwrapped, two, three, four times until I was small. Really small.”
- Cassie, Skins
I'm unbelievably happy right now. All day during my design class I was stressing because my mind was buzzing with all these ideas, but none of them seemed quite right. But now I have the perfect inspiration. The Russian Doll. I did heaps of research into the concept last year for art actually, and my whole year was loosely based on the idea of these shapes and layers. It seems so perfect for my capsule collection, I don't know why I didn't think of it before! This means looking back through art journals which is always fun, and lots more research into Russian culture, costume and significance behind the matryoshka doll, and also an investigation into layers and shells which I can then translate into my range lineup. So excited I thought I would share! I'll keep you posted on this one.

P.S. Found this picture during my research, celebrating Russian Vogue's 10th Anniversary in 2008. (Above left to right: Ralph Lauren, Emilio Pucci, Giles; Below left to right: Stella McCartney, Giorgio Armani, Moschino)

Lizzie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment